Welcome to Stitch & Steele…..
My name is Fiona and I set up Stitch & Steele in 2014, to offer workshops and classes in Worcester that I couldn’t find on offer. I started with just a 6 Week Beginners Sewing Course which was really successful in 2014 and haven’t looked back.
I learned to sew with my Mum and Grandma many years ago. I kept on sewing (sporadically during Uni and a full time corporate marketing job)..even when it just wasn’t cool to sew. So when the Sewing Bee launched on our TVs I got the bug back and realised that lots of other people wanted to learn the skills I knew. Luckily my Mum and Grandma also taught me knitting, crochet, sewing home furnishings and dress-making so I expanded the range of classes to incorporate these crafts in 2015.
Worcester’s Premier Craft School:
Stitch & Steele offers a whole range of “pop-up” workshops at carefully selected venues around Worcester and aims to be Worcester’s Premier Craft School, with an ever expanding range of creative craft workshops.
Our core workshops and classes include:
– Sewing (dressmaking)
– Sewing (home furnishings)
– Furniture Painting Workshops
I work with a range of lovely, highly qualified and experienced tutors for our advanced and niche courses such as Intermediate Dressmaking, Quilting and Upholstery, whilst I focus on the very popular Beginner level courses.
Then there’s Buddy, my daily companion who is a lovely (if slightly naughty) 18 month old Labrador. He sits in my office and keeps me company, so he’s an integral part of the team and you will hear about his progress and exploits in our newsletters.
Why Our Courses & Workshops?
– we teach what we know and have significant experience of – our tutors are down to earth, friendly and have a sense of humour…and we all actively sew/knit/crochet/paint.
– our courses take place in easy to find locations on public transport routes and with good, free parking facilities
– we offer daytime, evening and weekend courses to make them most accessible
– our workshops typically have no more than 6 people participating maximum to ensure everyone gets a good level of personal attention and tuition
– we offer short courses of 6 weeks giving you a good overview of a new craft and the ability to then progress
– inspire/reinspire you to sew/dressmake/knit/crochet as a creative outlet but also to save money, make something unique, to upcycle but also to just have fun!
Why The Name “Stitch & Steele”?
Well…..I knew the name needed to reflect a wider craft element than just the dressmaking courses I started with a 2 years ago. So I thought there would be stitches involved and the steel of the sewing needles, the metal paint cans, as well as the knitting needles and crochet hooks.
We really look forward to meeting you on one of our forthcoming workshops.