Course Start Dates:
Our courses run for 6 consecutive weeks are the dates for 2017 are as follows:
- Tues 25th April (2nd May, 9th May, 16th May, 23rd May, not 31st as School Hols,
- Tues 13th Jun (20th June, 27th June, 4th July, 11th July, 18th July)
- Tues 5th Sept (12th Sept, 19th Sept, 26th Sept, 3rd Oct, 10th Oct)
- Tues 7th Nov (14th Nov, 21st Nov, 28th Nov, 5th Dec, 12th Dec)
Time: 10.30am – 12.30pm (6 x 2hr workshops)
Skill Level: Complete Beginner
Venue: Stitch & Steele, Worcester (Warndon Villages) – full address is only confirmed upon booking).
This is a progressive skills course of 6 workshops covering all the basic crochet stitches and techniques you need to become a competent crocheter. You will learn how to hold crochet hook and yarn, read and understand patterns, learn to crochet bunting, baskets and granny squares.
As the weeks progress, you will be amazed how your crochet skills develop and at your ability to tackle new projects.
What You Will Learn:
wk 1: Getting Started
– Brief guide to crochet hook sizes & yarn types
– Parts of stitches – what each bit is called (for use later with patterns!)
– Holding the yarn and crochet hook correctly
– Making chains
wk 2: Basic Stitches – the basis for all patterns
We will cover the basic foundational crochet stitches in this workshop which
are combined in various ways in patterns to create endless stitches and patterns.
– stitch construction and parts of a pattern repeat
– single, half double, double and treble crochet
– working in rows
wk 3: Understanding & Following Patterns
– Correcting mistakes during crocheting
– Crochet pattern abbreviations
– Crochet terminology and symbols on patterns
– Measuring tension
– Increasing & decreasing stitches
– Adding yarn
– Starting your first granny square
wk 4: All About Granny Squares
The aim of this week’s course and your week’s “homework” 🙂 is to practice the simple crochet mini patterns given to create several squares of different stitches/patterns to make 4 granny squares (which will be made up into a mini blanket at the end of the course)
wk 5: Finishing Projects & Embellishment
– Learn how to work with new colours
– Make several different granny square designs as samplers
– Making flower embellishments
wk 6: Review of key stitches & processes, finishing projects
– We will review the last 5 weeks learning
– Sewing your squares together and completing your mini blanket sample
– Further resources & next steps with crocheting
What To Bring With You:
At the first workshop you will be given a starter kit of crochet yarn and a jumbo crochet hook to start with. You will need to order some further yarn (of your choice) during the course (max cost £10).
You also get a loan copy of our crochet course book for the duration of the course.
You will get instructions each week of what you will need to bring the following week.