Course Start Dates:
Our courses run for 6 consecutive weeks are the dates for 2017 are as follows:
- Tues 31st Oct (7th Nov, 14th Nov, 21st Nov, 28th Nov, 5th Dec)
- Tues 9th Jan (16th Jan, 23rd Jan, 30th Jan, 6th Feb, 13th Feb)
- Tues 20th Feb (27th Feb, 6th Mar, 13th Mar, 20th Mar, 27th Mar)
- Tues 17th Apr (24th Apr, 1st May, 8th May, 15th May, 22nd May)
- Tues 5th Jun (12th Jun, 19th Jun, 26th Jun, 3rd Jul, 10th Jul)
Time: 10.30am – 12.30pm (6 x 2hr workshops)
Skill Level: Complete Beginner
Venue: Stitch & Steele, Worcester (Warndon Villages) – full address is only confirmed upon booking).
This is a progressive skills course of 6 workshops covering all the basic crochet stitches and techniques you need to become a competent crocheter. You will learn how to hold crochet hook and yarn, read and understand patterns, learn to crochet bunting, baskets and granny squares.
As the weeks progress, you will be amazed how your crochet skills develop and at your ability to tackle new projects.
What You Will Learn:
wk 1: Getting Started
– Brief guide to crochet hook sizes & yarn types
– Parts of stitches – what each bit is called (for use later with patterns!)
– Holding the yarn and crochet hook correctly
– Making chains
wk 2: Basic Stitches – the basis for all patterns
We will cover the basic foundational crochet stitches in this workshop which
are combined in various ways in patterns to create endless stitches and patterns.
– stitch construction and parts of a pattern repeat
– single, half double, double and treble crochet
– working in rows
wk 3: Understanding & Following Patterns
– Correcting mistakes during crocheting
– Crochet pattern abbreviations
– Crochet terminology and symbols on patterns
– Measuring tension
– Increasing & decreasing stitches
– Adding yarn
– Starting your first granny square
wk 4: All About Granny Squares
The aim of this week’s course and your week’s “homework” 🙂 is to practice the simple crochet mini patterns given to create several squares of different stitches/patterns to make 4 granny squares (which will be made up into a mini blanket at the end of the course)
wk 5: Finishing Projects & Embellishment
– Learn how to work with new colours
– Make several different granny square designs as samplers
– Making flower embellishments
wk 6: Review of key stitches & processes, finishing projects
– We will review the last 5 weeks learning
– Sewing your squares together and completing your mini blanket sample
– Further resources & next steps with crocheting
What To Bring With You:
At the first workshop you will be given a starter kit of crochet yarn and a jumbo crochet hook to start with. You will need to order some further yarn (of your choice) during the course (max cost £10).
You also get a loan copy of our crochet course book for the duration of the course.
You will get instructions each week of what you will need to bring the following week.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee:
We guarantee you 100% satisfaction with the workshop or course you book and we are happy to let you repeat it free of charge, if you are not 100% satisfied, or didn’t get what you want out of it, or just feel you want to repeat it. This is dependent on spaces being available, but we will do our best to accommodate you.