- Sat 14th October
Time: 10am – 5pm
Venue: Stitch & Steele, Warndon Villages, Worcester, WR4 (full address on booking)
Skill Level: Total Beginner – an ideal fast-track start to dressmaking even if you have never sewn before, or as a quick refresher.
What You Will Learn:
You will learn the basics of dressmaking which will enable you to start making simple garments in easy to sew fabrics using commercial dressmaking patterns. You will finish the day by making a pair of PJs or a simple skirt (your choice).
(This is a compact version of our 6 Week Beginners Learn To Sew Course (Evenings) so if you want to learn more slowly and over a 6 week x 3 hour evening workshop basis, then that might be a better option for you).
How To Use Your Sewing Machine
- How to set up and thread a sewing machine
- How to check sewing tension and adjusting this
- Getting to grips with stitching – tips for straight lines, curves and corners
- Sew simple seams & learn about simple seam finishes
Introduction to Understanding Patterns & Fabrics
- Choosing the right kind of fabric for your project and where to buy it from
- Different pattern types: commercial, freebies, paper & PDF
- Understanding sewing patterns
- Pinning & good fabric cutting techniques
- Laying out your pattern onto the fabric
- Understanding how to alter the pattern for best fit
- Cutting out your skirt /PJs fabric & pattern pieces
- Assembling and finishing your chosen garment (skirt/PJs)
- Finishing techniques
- Unlimited tea/coffee/biscuits (lunch not included)
- Tuition and handouts
- Your own copy of the sewing patterns we will be using on the day
What To Bring With You:
There is a choice of skirt or pyjama bottoms to make during the afternoon.
- 1.5m of fabric for the skirt (A Line pattern but we have straight skirt patterns if you prefer)
(either plain fabric/with a small pattern – no stripes or checks as these are difficult to match up)
- 0.5m of light-weight or medium-weight iron-on interfacing (available at Dunelm or Hobbycraft) for the waistband
- 8cm invisible (concealed) zip (you will also need a concealed or invisible zip foot which you can buy cheaply from Amazon or Ebay). At the moment Hobbycraft is the best place to get invisible or concealed zips (Dunelm don’t seem to stock them in Worcester).
- 2.5m for the PJs (soft cotton or polycotton)
- (either plain fabric/with a small pattern – no stripes or checks as these are difficult to match up)
- there are several variations of the pyjamas – they are a unisex pattern and you can make full trousers, capri length or shorts. The waistband area also has 2 options: drawstring tie or elasticated waist:
drawstring version: you will need a small amount of lightweight iron-on interfacing – although you will probably need to buy a min of 0.5m due to minimum cut requirements in some shops like Dunelm). You will also need Twill Tape or 15mm (1.5cm) wide ribbon (satin or grossgrain) which are available from places like Hobbycraft or Dunelm.
elasticated version: you will need 30mm (3cm) wide elastic (2 metres in length)
Sewing Kit & Sewing Machine (both projects):
- Sewing kit with good sharp dressmaking scissors, paper scissors, hand sewing needles, pins (plastic heads), air or water soluble fabric markers or chalks
- Your sewing machine, power cable & foot pedal as well as instruction manual (please make sure your machine is in good working order before you bring it). If you don’t own a sewing machine, we have lovely Janome 3300 sewing machines which you can hire to use for the day. Please book these when booking your workshop place.
- A notebook & pen to take notes
- Reading or close vision glasses if you need them