- Weds 6th Sept (11am – 4pm)
- Sat 30th Sept (11am – 4pm)
Skill Level: Beginner Plus – You must be able to use a sewing machine and ideally have made a couple of things before taking this class. If not then try our Ultimate Beginners Dressmaking 1 Day Workshop for a refresher or our 6 Week Beginners Learn to Sew (Dressmaking) Course if you have never sewn before.
Venue: Stitch & Steele, Worcester (address sent upon booking confirmation)
What You Will Learn:
When most people learn to make their own clothes, they start with basic cotton fabrics and simple patterns, and then often don’t progress to use more difficult fabrics which would potentially make more wearable clothes – such as stretch or knit fabrics in T shirts, dresses and long sleeved jersey tops (or even leggings).
You don’t need an expensive (and very fiddly) over-locker to do the job, you can sew many stretch or knit fabrics at home on your own standard sewing machine, if you know the correct techniques to use to handle this type of fabric.
Once you have got the hang of sewing with stretch fabrics, you will be hooked!
- About different types of knit & stretch fabrics – which you can use on a sewing machine and which you can’t
- How to judge the stretch of your fabric and whether it will be suitable for a particular pattern
- Which needles, sewing feet and thread types to use for perfect results
- To sew using different stitch types on different stretch fabrics so you know how they feel and handle
- Specialist sewing techniques on how to sew hems, armholes, insert sleeves and to gather using elastic, as well as how to stabilise your stretch fabric
- How to use a double needle to finish the hemline
- You will get a chance to go over some of the techniques again from the morning session
- Complete the day by making either a T-shirt if you wish, or to go through a stretch knit pattern so that you can go away and start making your own stretch garment at home
- Info on local and online sources of good knit fabrics
- Unlimited tea/coffee/biscuits (lunch not included)
- Tuition and handouts
- Copies of any patterns used on the day
- Handouts on techniques, where to source knit fabrics and needle reference guide
What To Bring With You:
- 1.5m of medium or lightweight knit fabric such as cotton jersey, Rayon jersey, ponte roma. Lightweight sweat-shirting is also suitable and matching thread in case you want to make your own T shirt
- Sewing kit with good sharp dressmaking scissors, paper scissors, hand sewing needles, pins (plastic heads), air or water soluble fabric markers or chalks
- Your sewing machine, power cable & foot pedal as well as instruction manual (please make sure your machine is in good working order before you bring it). If you don’t own a sewing machine, we have lovely Janome 3300 sewing machines which you can hire to use for the day. Please book these when booking your workshop place.